BLOG GAMES ABOUT

Migration to Hugo

November 26, 2021

I haven’t published anything in a while in the blog because I was busy migrating it to a new technology. I was using Django, which is very powerful and easy enough to use. It is based on python too, which means that I could flex a bit the rusty muscles I had. However, it is mainly designed to be used with dynamic webpages, and this being a blog plus projects up here, it did not make a lot of sense (I do not want comments on the posts because well, then I would have to enter into the world of filtering spam, moderating behaviour, etc etc which I am not keen in doing at all.

So, I obviously started with reinventing the wheel and wanted to make my own static site generator written in python. It would obviously end up being really not general at all or reusable and with lots of quirks about how to use it because I would not devote time to it. Suffice it to say, the effort was short lived (thankfully).

After some common sense shone inside my head, I decided to go with Hugo. It is a static site generator written in Go, but just browsing through a couple of tutorials I realised that I could probably port it in a couple of days. Alas, that is what happenned: over this week in little spaces of free time I managed to port it, and then in the train trip to Seville I finished it! And here’s the result, for you all to bask in its glory.


Tron Warp

October 15, 2021

So after a long time of not developing anything at home, I have finally set up everything again for C++ development with OpenGL, and it is all because of updating to Windows 11 (to be fair I am a bit bored at work so that contributes a bit too). Since I now not only have all the Linux tools available in Windows, but can also run graphical applications, it is very exciting.

I had a few abandoned projects, but I think I am going to go forward with TronWarp (name to be improved…), which is a remake with improvements on a silly game I made for a quick ludum dare jam back in 2014 or so. It was basically a crossbreed of Hexagon and G-switch, you race motorcycles through an octogonal tunnel avoiding the missing tiles, and you can jump over to the opposite side of the tunnel at any point. It featured crazy graphics (the floor would smoothly change colour every frame) and it was mostly in 2D, doing the calculations for the tunnel in the CPU and then just drawing the triangles myself rather than uploading models to the GPU.

screenshot

Now, because part of me weants to do some creative OpenGL shader coding rather than doing it in an engine such as Godot ( I know I know, deprecated, old and useless, kind of want to do it anyway) I am moving the whole thing to 3D, with a retro look. Maybe I will even implement a CRT filter, who knows. I also want to beef up the gameplay, giving the ships that race through the tunnel some kind of power so that they can push other racers off the track. However, the main design constraint is the fact that I want 4 players and I want them to be able to play on a single keyboard, which was a feature of the original Warp, so the control scheme is going to be a bit tricky.


Chessy Feelings

October 14, 2021

I have recently come back to playing chess. I have actually started studying a bit, not only solving puzzles and playing but looking at openings and some pro games. I have to say I am enjoying it massively, in a way I never had when I just played my father and lost endlessly. I still cannot beat him, but hopefully soon enough.

After starting at the mandatory 1200, I plummetted down to the high 800s, which is when I started paying for the gold tier at chess.com. At 3 euros per month it is not expensive, and I can get all the games I play analysed. It is the best way I have found to improve other than studying the openings and trying them out numerous times. That has landed me this week in the mid 1100s, which is good but not great. Let’s see if I can keep it up and make it to the 1600-1800s by the end of the year!


A hard days knit

October 11, 2021

So today I spent all day knitting a hat. Wanted to do many things: compose a bit, program a bit, maybe advance in the game I am trying to make (the pixel art is very hard) but nope, I just knit all day. At least I got a hat out of it.

I had wanted to make one with earflaps for a while, and while the result could have been better, I think it is quite decent taking into account it was the first time I was using a circular knitting needle. It is quite hard to use and there is no way to stick it under your armpit, so I ended up awkwardly holding the needles in my hands and against one leg. I bet there is a proper way to knit with them, I just didn’t go and research it.

I also had to do a bit of cheating because the hat ended up being a tad bit too big. What I did was saw it tighter with the grey wool around the front and back, and the end result is not too bad. I also learned to do a pompom, which is nice! Anyway, here’s a picture of the end result with my ugly mug on it.

vpicture